When the wireless doorbell was introduced in 1990s, people became more conscious about their home security and overall comfort.
The concept of “Smart Homes” started to rise and the society became obsessed with it.
Two most popular and top-rated doorbells, Ring and Skybell, compete to secure the number one spot on the market. Their rivalry is fierce and both succeed in creating top-notch doorbells
Wireless doorbells came a long way and the product has significantly evolved from what it was. Today, these products heavily affect our everyday life and safety levels.
So let’s talk about the two most popular doorbells, analyze them and see which one is superior.
Skybell VS Ring: Choose The One That Suits You Best
Despite the year the product was introduced, wireless doorbells are still considered fragile and it’s important to pay close attention to the product we’re planning to buy.
But don’t worry about these two high-quality products. Both, Skybell and Ring are reliable, quality work and durable doorbells.
We can now start comparing these two awesome doorbells and then you can decide whether they meet your needs or not.
Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
If you’ve read other reviews on our website, you’d surely notice that Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell is always a #1 choice on our every list.
Even more, I personally own it and I can assure you that it won’t cause any problems. It works like a charm, makes my home more comfortable, modern and secure.
Enough with the subjective assumptions, let’s discuss every aspect of the product and we’ll soon find out whether it’s worth the investment or not.
1. Installation Process
What I liked about the package of Ring is that it comes with everything you need to install the doorbell.
The Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell can be installed on any surface, including wood, stucco and
Let’s see what’s included in the package:
As you see, it comes with a great toolkit including a drill bit, screwdriver, wood screws and other tools that will help you in the installation process.
What’s In The Box?
- Ring Doorbell – ✔
- Micro USB charging cable – ✔
- Mounting bracket and level – ✔
- Screwdriver – ✔
- Screwdriver Bit – ✔
- Drill bit – ✔
- Wood screws – ✔
- Masonry screws and anchors – ✔
- Weather sealant – ✔
- Users Manual – ✔
The package of Ring doorbell definitely is something other wireless doorbell manufacturers envy.
Video Doorbell Setup
The video doorbell set up is even easier and only takes a few minutes.
After completing three simple steps you’re video doorbell will be good to go.
- Download the free Ring app (iOS and Android)
- Connect the doorbell to your Wi-Fi network (using the app)
- Mount the doorbell
And that are all the requirements for the video doorbell setup.
|Mounting Surfaces For Ring Doorbell||What Should We Use|
|BRICK||Use concrete screws, anchors and drill bit|
|CONCRETE||Use concrete screws, anchors and drill bit|
|STUCCO||Use wood screws|
|WOOD||Use concrete screws, anchors and drill bit|
|VYNL||Use wood screws|
We’ve talked generally about the package and doorbell setup but we haven’t talked about how actually does the installation process work.
So here’s how it’s actually done:
- Remove doorbell button (optional)
- Line up the mounting bracket using the provided mounting level
- Install the mounting bracket using the provided screwdriver bit and handle
- Remove the mounting level
- Connect your doorbell wiring to the terminal screws located on the mounting bracket (optional)
- Place the device on the mounting bracket
- Tighten the security screws
If this isn’t helpful, watch the installation video:
2. Specifications Of Ring
The Ring Wireless Doorbell works with iOS® and Android™ mobile device. The minimum requirements are iOS 7.1+ and Android 4.0+.
Wi-Fi internet connection (802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz).
You can connect the Ring to your existing doorbell wiring, or use the built-in battery.
3. How Ring Works
The concept is really simple.
Someone presses your doorbell, the signal travels through your Wi-Fi network and reaches your phone.
As soon as you see the notification on your smartphone and open the Ring application, you’ll be able see whose standing next to your door.
Even more, you can talk to him directly and have a two-way conversation.
The best part is that the visitor can’t see you.
On the other hand, if you’re at work, shopping, partying or even far, far from home, the system is designed so good that you’ll still be able to answer the door.
The video quality of Ring is quite good and captures in 720p HD.
So the next time when someone comes to your door, rings the bell and asks, “Hey, do you want some cookies?!”
With Ring, you can just access the app, be friendly, feel awesome and reply:
“Hey Kid! Thanks for the offer but I’m really busy now!”
Just imagine the face of the visitor when someone speaks to them from a doorbell.
It’s like “WOW”, technology surely moves forward.
Let’s move those “funny jokes” away and discuss a serious issue.
What if I’m out of country and someone tries to rob my house?
Don’t worry, we can deal with that.
When the motion detection activates (we’ll talk about it in this article), we can just access the application from anywhere we are.
And tell the robber something like, “Can I help you Mr. Robber?”
The robber will never know that you’re actually out of the country and there’s no way you can stop him from robbing your home.
But, hey, who’ll risk entering your home when someone’s speaking through the doorbell?
Definitely, no one.
4. Motion detection
The motion detection feature is really sensitive and perfectly does its job.
When someone approaches your door the sound of a chime will ring through your phone and you can launch the app and talk to him directly.
Or you can use Ring’s cloud recording, save the video and watch it later.
A little glitch I’ve found (if it can be called a glitch) is that the recording doesn’t start until the visitor hasn’t been standing at the door for a few seconds.
I mostly get the recording of the left packages and the delivering person leaving my place.
I rarely get a video of how he approached my house.
The camera, as we said, has a 720p HD video quality which is quite acceptable.
Ring has a 180-degree field of view, which is practically enough for any type of home.
It would be a miss not to mention Ring’s ideal nigh-vision. It gets a clear image of visitors that come after the sun going down.
Summing Up The Ring Wireless Doorbell
Skybell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell
As Ring, Skybell is one of the top-rated wireless doorbells.
Skybell has been around for quite some time and they’ve been constantly improving their doorbell.
The company even went so far that they introduced Skybell HD with better features and fewer bugs.
Being different in features and visual aspects, Skybell is a USA manufactured doorbell that perfectly serves its owner and home.
1. How Does Skybell Work?
This is a really simple process and is quite easy to understand.
The explanation consists of five steps:
- Someone presses your Skybell doorbell
- The signal goes to your Wi-Fi router
- Then the signal goes to the Cell Tower
- The Cell Tower sends the signal to your mobile device
- Then the Skybell app (which you have to download) sends a notification with a text “your Skybell is calling”
If it’s still confusing, check out this awesome illustration:
Let’s move on to the next step, the installation process.
2. Installation Process
Skybell is easy to install and I won’t start writing a step-by-step guide.
Skybell itself uploaded a great video that can give a clear idea about how to install Skybell.
You can watch the full vid here:
To avoid any further confusion, read this installation process written by me.
If you’ve previously had a doorbell, instaling Skybell will only take a few minutes.
You just have to:
- Remove the old, unwanted doorbell
- Choose the right mounting plate
- Attach the plate to the mounting surface
- connect the wires to the wires on the SkyBell
- Done! Skybell is up!
- Just tighten the screws so that the doorbell won’t fall off.
After you’ve attached Skybell on the mounting surface and it’s ready to go, we’ll have to download the Skybell app.
After downloading, launch it and the application will ask for a name, email and a password.
As soon as the registration process is over, we can start adding Skybell to your device by just pressing the “Add a Skybell” buttons.
Note: You’ll have to enter the device ID and don’t get confused. The ID can be found on both, the device and the box.
The last step is connecting to your existing Wi-Fi network. Enter the password of your Wi-Fi and after 30 seconds Skybell will automatically connect to it.
In addition, the Skybell app displays devices that are connected to the doorbell. Just press the Settings icon, it’ll take you to the account information section and there, you can manage all the devices that are connected to your Skybell.
What’s Included In The Package?
Skybell comes with a kit that includes mounting screws and plates (flush, doorframe and wedge).
It also includes a Allen wrench and user’s manual.
3. Design and Features
Skybell is a round, 2.8 inches in diameter and 0.8 inches thick doorbell. It comes in two color, Silvery Brushed Aluminum and Oil Rubbed Bronze.
Skybell works with the wires and can be powered with built-in batteries. Note, that skybell should be connected to a low-voltage transformer.
Compared to Ring, Skybell has a slightly dull resolution (640-by-480-pixel) and the field of view is 130-degree (Ring boasts with a 180-degree field of view).
The features of Skybell doorbell are:
- Video Camera
- Ring Button
- LED Indicator
- Motion Sensor
If you don’t know what’s what, feel free to investigate the picture below that includes every feature of Skybell doorbell.
Let’s talk about the camera quality.
As we’ve mentioned, it’s not as good as Ring’s, but it still does its work.
Skybell doesn’t offer a “full-HD” stream but its video quality gives a clear shot of our visitor anything we want to view.
This what Skybell’s camera can do. I believe, it’s an acceptable quality.
It’s true that the live video lacks detail. The low resolution and low video quality is a huge drawback of the Skybell doorbell. Even more, most of the details appear blurry and it might be hard to identify whose standing next to your door.
But if it’s your first smart doorbell and you’ve not owned an HD video recording Ring, Skybell’s video quality won’t be irritating.
4. Motion Detection
The motion sensor of Skybell is really good.
Though, it lacks the ability to adjust the motion sensitivity. But, on the other hand, while watching live from your phone, you can take snaps of things happening outside.
Another drawback of Skybell is that you can’t record videos like Ring can.
Fortunately, some time ago, Skybell announced major changes and introducing a server-base video storage was one of the news. So, it won’t take long to add a recording feature.
All in all, Skybell has a big potential. For now, it has some really good features but there’s still some place for improvement.
Skybell is easy to install, has a fairly-good camera, motion sensors, two-way audio, beautiful app and outstanding design.
Skybell founders made a statement and said that it won’t take long to resolve all these issues.
Summing Up Skybell Doorbell
- Working Abilities – It’s a bit hard to compare the working abilities of these two doorbells. It won’t be surprising if I’d say that Ring and Skybell are on par when it comes to working abilities.
- Battery Use – Here’s where Ring wins BIG. Ring has an built-in battery that is rechargeable and also works with a wire (the one your old doorbell uses). On the other hand, Skybell doesn’t have batteries and it’s not what we call a “wireless doorbell”. In order to activate Skybell, you’ll have to connect it to a wire system and if you don’t have one, you’ll have to wire your home. So, the decision is up to you.
- Looks And Quality – Both of these doorbell are really, really good in terms of looks. Ring comes in four colors and it nearly matches any type of home. The design of Ring is attractive and looks modern, safe and hi-tech. The quality of the product is high and I’ve rarely seen someone that has talked badly about this doorbell. Skybell comes in two colors, white and black, it looks nice and has a “non-attention seeking” expression. As for the quality of Skybell, it’s good but mostly, it receives mixed reviews. Some people are satisfied with its features and overall quality and some talk really badly about it.
- Cloud Recording – Ring has an awesome feature called “Cloud Recording” which enables you to record any type of activity happening outside your home (that in the field of view of Ring). If you don’t have time or you’re in the middle of something important and can’t see whose standing next to your door, you can simply record the video, store it in the cloud and later, view the full vid. Plus, you can watch video in the app or on Ring’s website. As for Skybell, for now, there isn’t anything like “recording function” that enables you to record the outside activity. The only way to record is to take a snapshot from your phone or take video of the screen with another phone.
- On-demand video – Both of the doorbells have an “on-demand video” feature. If someone has been standing at your door for more than 10 seconds, the motion sensor will activate and a notification will popup and ask whether you want to start a video or an audio stream.
- Multiple Accounts – Skybell boasts with an awesome feature. It allows several users to access Skybell application. For example, if you don’t live alone and you’d like for your family members to have access to Skybell, you can simply let them have it.
Full Details Of Skybell VS Ring
We compared all features of both doorbells and made comparison table below:
For the last time, let’s sum up the comparison of Skybell and Ring.
Generally, Ring has more positive reviews and satisfied customers. 99% of the reviews are “recommended to buy” and literally, everyone praises its features.
With its awesome features and incredible design, Ring is the top-rated and the best-seller wireless doorbell. No doubt, it clearly deserves its #1 spot.
But if you’re still willing to purchase Skybell, don’t think too much. It’s a great doorbell with great features.
The product has a lot of room for improvement and after some time, it definitely has the potential to steal the #1 spot from Ring and claim it with pride.
If you’re still struggling and can’t make a decision, once again check the comparison chart and make a wise decision.